Starving yourself - purposely not eating to lose weight, will actually slow down your metabolism causing your body to go into self-preservation mode.
You may experience a short-term weight loss but your body will fight back by making you feel hungrier and begin to store fat, slowing down your metabolism. Eventually your body will break down muscle protein for energy.
What else is not sexy about not eating?
- Loss of Hair. Malnutrition causes your hair to thin and fall out.
- Brittle Nails. Your nails can begin to break and become brittle.
- Bloating. Gastro motility slows and it takes longer for the gastric system to empty causing constipation.
- Infertility. Your period can become irregular or may stop completely due to hormonal abnormalities.
- Bone Loss. You may experience bone damage and osteoporosis even after a few months since the nutrients your body needs to regenerate are not present.
- Depression. Due to a lack of iron from not eating, you may become anemic causing you to feel weak, tired, irritable and in some cases clinically depressed.
- Heart disease. You can damage your heart. In some cases, dehydration and electrolyte imbalances can cause heart arrhythmias and death.